PortRemoter™ for Linux Containers
A free Linux Docker container image that provides TCP/IP port forwarding capabilities, which allows you to take control of your connections!
What It Does
The software accepts connections on a particular TCP port, and establishes connections to a different TCP port to fulfill requests. This capability allows you to customize your network topology through a software solution.
PortRemoter allows the hosting of multiple domain names through its virtual hosting feature. This allows a single IP address to host multiple domains by forwarding requests to the correct servers. This feature supports both the HTTP and HTTPS protocols.
When two or more instances of PortRemoter communicate with each other, additional functionality is available. This includes data encryption, data compression and data validation. It also allows multiple protocols to be supported on a single server port allowing you to minimize the number of ports that need to be opened in your firewall.
Most Internet protocols are supported. PortRemoter can forward to ports on computers outside your local area network. It can also forward to ports with different local and remote values.
PortRemoter includes a built-in web based administrative interface that allows you to configure all the application settings and monitor the network connections and data transfer statistics.
PortRemoter for Linux Containers supports many features and abilities. These are some of them:
- Minimal Docker image based on Alpine Linux distribution.
- Written in C/C++ allowing it to run natively inside its container.
- High-performance, scalable, multi-threaded design.
- Utilizes the Linux epoll I/O event notification facility.
- Supports both Linux x64 and ARM64 host platforms.
- Built-in HTTP/HTTPS server, allows for web-based administration of the software.
- Ability to limit the number of active connections in total or per IP address.
- Load balancing distributes the processing over a set of servers.
- Virtual hosting allows a single server port to host multiple domains.
- Ability to control the number of worker threads used to transfer data.
- Command Line can be used to manage the administrative interface.
- Supports a collection of customizable TCP/IP port forwarders.
- Access control lists indicate which IP addresses are permitted to connect.
- Connection logs allow connection history to be saved to files.
- Session statistics maintain transfer information since the process was started.
- Active connections viewable from the session statistics table.
- Historical statistics maintain transfer information since the product was installed.
- Log file keeps track of changes and reports error conditions.
Paired Mode Features
When two or more instances of PortRemoter communicate with each other, additional features are available:
- Server-side ports can be shared to reach a collection of destination servers.
- Shared server-side ports can automatically match the product features of the client.
- Classic Deflate (ZIP), fast LZ4 or tunable Zstandard data compression methods supported.
- Advanced Encryption Standard (AES), ChaCha20/Poly1305 or XChaCha20/Poly1305 encryption for safe communication.
- Data transfers can be verified correct with a validated with a cryptographic hash function.
- Additional logging for invalid data received during paired mode operations.
- Additional statistics that provide metrics on paired mode operations.
The Windows, Linux, macOS and Docker versions of the software are 100% compatible, so they can work together!